Friday, December 21 is the Winter Solstice, the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere. In southern Manitoba that means 16 hours of darkness, from sunset to sunrise on the 22nd.
Our dear friend Ashleigh was recently diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, bringing a season of darkness to her, her husband Jordan and their four kiddos, and their family and friends. Ashleigh has been blogging about their journey, read more here.
On Friday, Dec 21, we will join Ashleigh and Jordan and their family symbolically by running through the darkness. For 16 hours, in half-hour shifts, we will pound the pavement, embrace the cold, and support our friends.
Would you join us?
Here’s how you can get involved:
This is a free virtual relay. Run from where you want, as far as you like, with whomever you want. Invite your friends, family, kids, to join you. Go to our online sign-up form to reserve your slot here.
Whether you’re running or not, consider donating $16, $32, or $160 to support the Duecks to help them cover medical and other costs as they navigate this cancer journey together. Donate here.
3. Buy a shirt.
We’re happy to make special event shirts available for purchase, with all proceeds going to the Dueck family! Huge thanks to Source for Sports in Steinbach for facilitating this. Order deadline was Dec 6. Stay tuned for pick-up details.
- As an overnight, winter challenge, please consider your safety as your head out. We recommend you run with a friend, wear reflective clothing, and dress appropriately for the temperatures. Be smart! :)
- If you’re near Steinbach, please join us for the sunrise run (8:00-8:30am). We will be meeting in front of Coffee Culture on Main St at 8:00am to run/walk the final leg of the relay together! Coffee Culture is generously providing coffee (which will be necessary!) and muffins to participants afterwards. Sign up for the final leg on the sign up form to RSVP.
- We are using SignUp.com to organize relay participants. When you select a slot, you will be asked for your name and email address, which we will use to contact you about event details. You will not be required to sign up for an account. Let us know if you hit any technical issues.
- We aren’t handling any of the donations, but will point to donation channels as they are available. We recommend donating online via the GoFundMe page setup on the Duecks’ behalf. If you would like us to deliver a cheque, please make it out to Jordan and Ashleigh Dueck, and contact us to make arrangements.
1. Is this a prayer vigil?
Not technically, but please feel free to pray as you run. Or be silent and let your feet do the talking. The point of this challenge is simply to join with and support our friends.
2. Is there an entry fee?
Participation is free, but donations are welcome. All proceeds going directly to the Duecks.
3. Where is this taking place?
This is a virtual relay, so you can run wherever you like (outside is preferable). Feel free to organize a meeting place for your running group to run together for your scheduled time.
4. I don’t run, can I still participate?
Yes! Feel free to run, walk, or tricycle. There is no minimum distance you need to cover during your hour.
5. Can I run for more than one half-hour?
You’re welcome to sign up for as many slots as you like. If you’re up for it, run the whole 16 hours!
- Can I sign up for a time slot that already has been filled?
Yes! Each time slot has unlimited openings, sign up for a time that works for your schedule.