In support of Ashleigh & Jordan Dueck
Dec 21-Dec 22, 2019
One year ago, our dear friend Ashleigh was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, and she and her family have spent the past year navigating a long and exhausting journey of chemo treatments.
Saturday, December 21 is the Winter Solstice, the longest night of the year, with 16 hours of darkness. In southern Manitoba that means 16 hours of darkness, from sunset to sunrise on the 22nd.
From sunset to sunrise we will join Ashleigh and Jordan and their family symbolically by running through the darkness. For 16 hours, in half-hour shifts, we will pound the pavement, embrace the cold, and support our friends.
Would you join us?
This is a free virtual relay, in half-hour time slots. Run from where you want, as far as you like, with whomever you want. Invite your friends, family, kids, to join you. Click here to sign up for a time slot.
Whether you’re running or not, consider donating $16, $32, or $160 to support the Duecks to help them cover medical and other costs as they navigate this cancer journey together. Donate here.
- As an overnight, winter challenge, please consider your safety as your head out. We recommend you run with a friend, wear reflective clothing, and dress appropriately for the temperatures. Be smart! 🙂
- We will be using SignUp.com to organize relay participants. When you select a slot, you will be asked for your name and email address, which we will use to contact you about event details. You will not be required to sign up for an account. Let us know if you hit any technical issues.
- Is there an entry fee?
Participation is free, but donations are welcome. All proceeds going directly to the Duecks.
- Where is this taking place?
This is a virtual relay, so you can run wherever you like (outside is preferable). Feel free to organize a meeting place for your running group to run together for your scheduled time.
- I don’t run, can I still participate?
Yes! Feel free to run, walk, or tricycle. There is no minimum distance you need to cover during your hour.
- Can I run for more than one half-hour?
You’re welcome to sign up for as many slots as you like. If you’re up for it, run the whole 16 hours!
- Can I sign up for a time slot that already has been filled?
Yes! Each time slot has unlimited openings, sign up for a time that works for your schedule.